Thursday, May 30, 2013

Paris -- ooh la la!

We arrived in the City of Lights last Monday (May 20) after taking a train ride from Brugge to Paris. We were greeted with rain and chilly weather, but at this point are used to the European rain cloud that tends to stay above us more often than not. We experienced our first Paris metro ride and when we came up the stairs from our metro stop, the first thing I saw was the Eiffel Tower which immediately put me in a better mood, despite the chilly drizzle. I have been longing to visit Paris for as long as I remember and couldn’t have been more excited for the week ahead.

We found our hostel after much frustration trying to figure out the grid system of the streets, which is in fact not a grid system so much. The hostel was nice, and we had our own room which was a nice change of pace. We spent our first night wandering the streets and having dinner at a restaurant right down the street complete with our first bottle of wine to start our Parisian journey.

The second day in Paris, we spent more time walking around and exploring our area. We turned the corner during our stroll and happened upon Luxembourg Gardens, which we had planned to go see but it was a pleasant surprise for that day. The park and palace were beautiful and we enjoyed a crepe and a glass of wine in the middle of the park. To end our night and take a break from the rain we had a relaxing night at our hostel and I proceeded to buy the season finale of Scandal on iTunes because I couldn’t bear waiting any longer. To everyone who doesn’t watch Scandal - watch it. 

Luxembourg




On Wednesday we visited the Louvre, which was more massive than I ever imagined. We spent a solid three hours there and probably only saw about half of the museum. We saw the famous Mona Lisa, but were a little underwhelmed. All of the other art around us seemed to impress me a bit more. 







Eventually we became burned out from painting-viewing and art-discussing and made our way down the Champs Elysees. Lined with park space, shops, bakeries, restaurants it was a fun wide-eyed filled stroll down one of the most famous boulevards in Paris. There was one bakery/tea room that had been recommended to me by the most Parisian American I know (thanks Kristen) called Laduree. The macaroons literally melted away in my mouth. Even Drew, who opposes most things sweet, loved them. I tried other macaroons while in Paris, but nothing compared. 



On Thursday, the day I had been waiting for finally arrived - we packed up our things and headed to the 4th arrondissement to our apartment that we called home for the next four nights. We arrived in a new area of Paris and took full advantage of having a closet, our own bathroom and kitchen. That night we went to a club called Wanderlust just a metro ride away that was right on the river. 

Friday morning Brian (Drew’s brother) arrived to the apartment and we began the day at a cafe not too far from our apartment. It was an interesting first meal for Brian, and for anyone for that matter. I guess some restaurants just don’t prefer using plates? Also, on the way to breakfast it started to hail. That afternoon we went to Musee d’Orsay which I actually preferred over the Louvre. The building was much more navigable and overall I enjoyed the art more, especially the Impressionism, featuring Monet and Manet. That night we had dinner in our neighborhood again and ventured down the street to the absinthe bar - my first time drinking absinthe and I surprisingly enjoyed it a lot. The three of us went to Rex Club that night which was a fun night out.




The next morning we treated ourselves to sleeping in a little and then took the metro to Rue Cler which is a traffic-free cobblestone road lined with markets, restaurants and gourmet shop - perfect for assembling the perfect French picnic. We leisurely walked down Rue Cler and got supplies for a picnic at Champ de Mars - a park in front of the Eiffel tower. It started to drizzle for about 30 minutes but then cleared up to a perfect sunny afternoon perfect for a lazy afternoon in the park. 


Rue Cler 




That night we had dinner at the world famous Buddha Bar. Asian-style dinner completed with people watching on par with walking down Rodeo Drive. I had some of the best sushi I’ve ever had and a view of a two-story golden Buddha right in front of our table. After dinner we continued our lavish night a couple blocks away with drinks at Hotel Costes, another Parisian staple. After seeing Great Gatsby a few days before, I couldn’t help but feel like we had gone back in time to a speakeasy in which Gatsby would merely blend into the crowd. 

Our final day in Paris was definitely our longest and most packed day while in Paris, and maybe overall while being in Europe. We began the day early and ventured to Versailles. We toured the palace first. Describing the palace and decor as extravagant would be an understatement. The entire time I kept looking around wondering how anyone could live in a “house” this large and so richly decorated. It was a beautiful, overwhelming experience. After the walk through the palace we went out the gardens. I think that if I lived in Versailles my whole life I would probably still not see every part of the garden and land that was a part of the estate. The landscape was perfectly manicured and the labyrinth of gardens extended as far as the eye can see. 





After taking the train back to Paris we went to a flea market that is one of the biggest in the world. The booths and storefronts were filled with collectibles, antiques, art, furniture and more. We spent a couple hours wandering the alleys in awe of everything there was to offer. After leaving the flea market we took the metro to the area around Notre Dame. Brian put a lock on the lock bridge for him and Leemarie. Drew and I are coming back to Paris at the end of the trip to fly home, so we decided to save our lock for the end. Hopefully we will find a cool one in one of the cities during the rest of our travels. We took the long way home and walked along the Seine and enjoyed the scenery. It was this moment that I truly felt that I was living a Parisian life (if only for a week). 



That night we got a little bit of late start heading to dinner, but walked back toward Notre Dame along the river and had dinner at one of the only places still serving dinner, which turned out to be a very nice meal complete with absinthe and a bottle of Bordeaux. I called it a night, and Drew and Brian went out together for a few hours longer. 

The next morning we had our last Parisian meal with Brian and parted ways. It was a great long weekend with Brian filled with memories of all sorts. We only wish he could stay in Europe longer! We left for the train station bound for Lucerne, Switzerland, but didn’t quite make it that day (more in the next post...). Paris was everything I had imagined including things I didn’t quite expect. I had my Eiffel Tower picnic, ate macaroons, walked along the Seine and museum hopped at some of the best in the world. We also had our share of mishaps, unexpected moments and being lost. As we continue our travel we have learned that learning along the way is all a part of the journey. 

I promise I’ll get better at blogging every couple days so my posts won’t have to be this long! We arrived in Interlaken, Switzerland today after three days in Lucerne. So far Switzerland is possibly the most beautiful place I’ve ever been, but more in the next post! 

Love from Europe to my family and friends. I miss y’all!

Emily 





No comments:

Post a Comment